Oklahoma man loses classic Corvette, antiques in garage fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHANDLER, Okla. – A man lost his life collection Tuesday after a fire broke out in his garage early Tuesday morning.

The owner says he heard a boom sound around 11 p.m. on Monday night.

When he went outside to see what it was, he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary so he went back to bed.

A short time later, he was awakened by fire crews on his property.

“The shop is totally burnt inside,” Assistant Fire Chief Billy Buchanan, with the Chandler Fire Department.

The roof of the garage collapsed and almost everything inside was charred, including valuables dating back to the 1930s.

Inside the shop were antiques, signs and memorabilia, including a classic Corvette that had just been restored.

“Homeowner said it was a 70’s model corvette, he had just rebuilt it,” said Buchanan.

Some valuables were spared like an antique fire extinguisher from a Huey helicopter in Vietnam and a Chandler parking meter from the 1950s.

The owner said he hopes to salvage a few of these antiques as he rebuilds.

“This man has been collecting old cars and stuff for many years,” said Buchanan.

Unfortunately, he said he does not have insurance on his garage.

Crews said the building is a total loss.