Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar
Up to the minute closings and delays

Indiana mom accused of injecting feces into son’s IV during cancer treatments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS – An Indiana mother is accused of injecting feces into her son’s IV bag while he was undergoing cancer treatments at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.

Tiffany Alberts, 41, of Wolcott, Indiana, is charged with six counts of aggravated battery and one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in serious bodily injury, according to WXIN.

According to court documents, officers were called to Riley Hospital to investigate possible child abuse on November 17.

Alberts’ 15-year-old son was being treated for cancer, and he had several unexplainable infections that were delaying treatment.

Staff placed video surveillance in his room, and the video showed Alberts injecting an unknown substance into his IV bag with a syringe several times, court documents said.

Staff told police Alberts’ son received his first round of chemotherapy for leukemia in September and went home.

But, several days later, he returned to the hospital because he had a fever and diarrhea and was vomiting.

The staff said his symptoms haven’t improved.

He’s required several surgeries to changes his central venous line due to concern for infection, and he spent 18 days in the ICU.

Doctors also told authorities the boy tested positive for blood cultures with organisms that are normally found in stool, and experts said there is no medical reason to explain the ongoing blood infection.

Investigators questioned Alberts and, at first, she said she injected water into her son’s IV bag to “flush the line” because the “medicine that was given to him burned.”

However, she later allegedly confessed she injected fecal matter into the bag on multiple occasions.

She said she did it to get her son moved to another unit at Riley that had better treatment, according to court documents.

The boy’s health improved once Alberts was removed from the hospital room, doctors said, but they worry they might have missed the time frame to keep his leukemia in remission.

Doctors also said the boy could have died from any one of the episodes of septic shock and he still could die from his leukemia due to the prolonged delay in therapy.