Facebook’s 2016 “Year in Review” reveals a population flitting, as always, between topics of great import — elections, social movements — and completely random diversions (Remember Pokemon Go? It seems like ages have passed).
Here’s what you watched and obsessed about, usually with good reason.
The most-watched global Facebook Live videos
For all of the terrible stuff that happened on Facebook live this year (shootings, people just documenting the most boring aspects of their lives for no reason), this list is actually pretty quality. Good job, Facebook lurkers. You didn’t dwell too long in the void.
1. Candace Payne, Chewbacca Mom
2. Ted Yoder, Soundscapes
Here’s a guy just absolutely shredding a hammer dulcimer. This is good stuff. So innocent, so pure.
3. Buzzfeed, Countdown to the next presidential election
Oh, ho ho! What jokesters.
4. Atlanta Buzz, People are lining up to hug police officers in Dallas
Obviously, a lot of Live videos reflected the big stories of the year. They also focused on the humanity of them.
5. NBC News, Election results
6. Under the Hood, Video of a truck completely carved out of wood
It’s exactly what it says it is. And it’s awesome.
7. Viral Thread, Population count from US to Canada
If you thought Facebook Live couldn’t sustain an influx of election jokes, you thought wrong.
8. CNN, Election results on Empire State building
Wow, what a great video. So good. Probably the best video.
9. Dena Blizzard, Pokemon Go for moms “Chardonnay Go”
10. Super Deluxe, Election map
The most talked-about global topics
These are a lot less fun. It turns out, your Facebook friends aren’t just posting their babies’ drool-caked faces and memes of dinosaurs. They’re actually talking about NEWS.
1. US Presidential Election
2. Brazilian politics
3. Pokemon Go
4. Black Lives Matter
5. Rodrigo Duterte and Philippine Presidential Election
8. Super Bowl
9. David Bowie
10. Muhammad Ali
If that wasn’t enough reminiscing for you, you can view your own personal Facebook year in review here.