This is an easy recipe which results in an outstanding salad or dessert.
Yes, watermelon can be grilled, and the grilling process makes it even sweeter!
For a salad, serve with fresh basil or mint, and a bit of crumbled goat cheese.
For dessert, serve with fresh mint, berries, honey-yougurt, ice cream or sorbet.
- 1/4 C fresh lime juice
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 t salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Fresh watermelon slices, 1.5-2″ thick
- Fresh pineapple wedges, 1″ thick
- Preheat grill – reasonably high heat as for a meat.
- Whisk together lime juice, salt, honey and optional cayenne.
- Brush watermelon and pineapple with honey/lime mixture.
- Place on grill for 2-3 minutes per side, until grill marks appear.
- Remove from heat.
- May be done in advance: pineapple will keep for 8 hours at room temperature, watermelon will hold for 6 hours, covered and refrigerated. May also be served immediately