Beautiful days ahead with cooler temperatures

Discarded cigarette to blame for apartment fire in northwest Oklahoma City

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City firefighters are warning residents following two fires in recent weeks.

On Friday morning, firefighters with the Oklahoma City Fire Department were called to the Invitational Apartments after residents reported seeing smoke.

When fire crews arrived, they could see smoke pouring from one of the buildings. Immediately, they evacuated 10 residents and rescued one dog.

After putting the fire out, they realized that it was caused by an improperly discarded cigarette on a balcony.

Officials say this is the second fire in three weeks at an apartment complex due to a discarded cigarette on a balcony. Firefighters say smokers should always smoke outdoors and use sturdy ashtrays that can withstand the Oklahoma wind.

They suggest a metal can with a lid filled with sand will do the trick. Also, make sure all the cigarette butts are extinguished before throwing them away.

Firefighters say cigarettes should never be tossed into vegetation around a building.