Remembering May 20th, 5 years later
Temperatures to climb back up over the next few days
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Metro man reunited with first responders who saved his life

NORMAN, Okla. – A metro man is lucky to be alive after his house went up in flames—and he credits a phone call, firefighters and God for saving his life.

Gene Mendicki was inside his home one morning watching TV when his home security company suddenly called. The Florida-based dispatcher said his system detected a fire at his home.

Mendicki thought there must be a mistake, so he went to reset his alarm system.

“I opened this door to get to the control panel and that’s where I got hit with smoke and it knocked me back into this wall," said Mendicki.

He tells News 4 that he quickly opened his back door and put his three dogs outside. Moments later, firefighters arrived.

"You saw a large fire volume coming out of the garage and then gaping over the eve here," said Chief Travis King with the Norman Fire Dept.

Mendicki says he was able to escape through his front door.

“When we have a case like here in Norman, where we have a homeowner and three dogs who are alive today because of the system we installed in their home, makes us feel awesome," said Bob Tucker with ADT Security.

Mendicki says he is thankful his wife was not at home during the fire but his cat died in the blaze.

On Wednesday, he got to meet with the Norman Fire Department and ADT Security to thank them for their help.