Couple recovering after fire burned historical home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

NORMAN, Okla. -- A metro couple is recovering in the hospital after a fire burned their historical home to the ground near S.W. 149th St. and Hiwassee Rd.

For now, the fire sits last on a lengthening list of misfortune for the family.

Brenda Guerrero recently lost her mother.

Her husband, Don Guerrero, a Vietnam Veteran, is on dialysis.

Now they have nothing, except their family and the gratitude they feel to still be alive.

The home was ordered from a Sears catalog in the early 1900s.

It used to sit a quarter of a mile down the road from the Guerreros and Brenda fell in love with it.

It was slated to be torn down.

When Brenda asked if she could buy it, the owners said yes and sold it to her for $1.

Brenda said, "That was our home. It was everything we had."

Around 3 a.m. Thursday, Brenda woke up and noticed the smoke.

She said, "Then my husband opened the door and the fire just back-drafted into the room. My husband was hooked up to a kidney dialysis machine and we couldn't get out of the room. It was very scary. There was nowhere to go."

The Guerreros ended up with second-degree burns as they escaped through a window.

Brenda said, "I had to just take my body and knock the air conditioner out of the window and I just fell out with the air conditioner."

They ran down the road to a neighbor's house for help.

Brenda's brother, Bobby Sanner, said it's hard to see his sister and brother-in-law in pain.

Brenda said she's surprised she and Don survived.

Knowing they can and will heal is now the family's focus.

Sanner said, "There ain't nothing more important than that, I'll tell you that, and we will get through it."

After the scary experience, Brenda has a message for all of us.

She said, "It can happen in a split second and my house was gone in a split second. Always have a plan."

Firefighters told Guerrero they suspect the cause was electrical.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.