Students need medical attention after trying hot sauce

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

YUKON, Okla. -- Some Yukon Middle School students went home sick after tasting a very potent hot sauce during lunch.

School officials said a student brought the hot sauce to school Thursday.

"Somebody had brought it to school and they all decided to taste it," an EMSA paramedic said, who responded to the school. "They got it on their fingers or in their mouth and then rubbed their eyes and then it kind of spread like that.”

Paramedics treated eight students and checked out dozens more.

The kids who tried the hot sauce reported stomach aches, but no one was transported to the hospital.

"It looked extremely hot. Some of the guys who were the biggest ones had tears in their eyes," student Casey Was said. 

School officials said kids were provided milk and yogurt to help cool off after consuming the hot sauce.

School officials notified the students’ parents.

The school also sent home a letter with students to let other parents know what happened.

EMSA said the hot sauce is called Mad Dog 357.

The Beef Jerky Emporium in Oklahoma City sells the condiment.

A store clerk told us there is a warning label on the bottle and that it isn’t available in most stores. 

When asked how hot the sauce is, the clerk said, "Oh, it's seriously hot."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.