Parole officer remembered at blue mass

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EDMOND, Okla. -- A day after being fatally shot while trying to visit a parolee in Midwest City, Department Of Corrections parole officer Jeffrey McCoy is remembered at a "Blue Mass" service in Edmond.

The service, held at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, honors Oklahoma officers killed in the line of duty.

Officers from several agencies had been preparing to honor 24 Oklahomans who have died since 2000.

With a heavy heart on Saturday, Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel said McCoy became the 25 person included in the Blue Mass.

"It was a cold-blooded assault that was totally needless," Whetsel said of McCoy's death.

The 32-year-old McCoy was shot and killed Friday morning in the 1400 block of Maple Dr. in Midwest City.

Police say 21-year-old Lester Kinchion, who lived at the home but was not the parolee McCoy was trying to visit, attacked McCoy and shot him.

"Two guys were fighting in the yard and ended up in the street," neighbor Steven Massey said Friday. "One guy pulled out a gun and shot the other one in the head."

"Certainly if you look at the incident yesterday and the cold-blooded actions of the individual, you just kind of wonder why," Whetsel said. "There was no need for that to happen yesterday."

Kinchion was eventually tased by police and arrested on a murder complaint.

McCoy leaves behind a wife and two children.

Anne Keef was at the Blue Mass because her son-in-law, Oklahoma City Sgt. Jonathan Dragus, was killed in a traffic accident while pursuing a stolen motorcycle in 2005.

"You can't even imagine. It's like your heart is ripped out," she said.

"They do the job because they love the job but they're put out there to run in when everyone else is running out and to take care of us," she said. "It's not easy (for McCoy's family) and it's not going to be easy for a while and my heart goes out to them."

Midwest City police said they still don't have a motive for McCoy's death.

Kinchion is expected to be transferred to the Oklahoma County jail next week.