Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Shots fired after visit at grandpa’s house

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DEER CREEK, Okla. — In an attempt to keep his grandson, police said a Deer Creek man fired gun shots at the car as the child’s mother tried to drive away.

It happened on the 6000 block of N.W. 176th St.

Investigators said 44-year-old Robert Yarger was behind the gun.

“The grandfather (Yarger), her former father-in-law comes out of the house and fires a couple of rounds in the air,” OK County Sheriff’s Dept. Spokesperson Mark Myers said. “Then he fires a round into the ground and then points to the car and fires two rounds into the car.”

Investigators said two bullets hit the car.

“One on the driver’s side and the other one in the trunk of the car; two children are in the back seat,” Myers said. “The only thing that kept that bullet from going into the back seat where those children were was a toolbox. The bullet was lodged in it.”

Police said the grandparents were watching the small boy and initially called social workers because they thought he would be in danger when he returned home with his mother and stepfather.

DHS investigated and didn’t find reason for alarm so they allowed the mother to pick up her son.

But as she went down the rocky pathway to leave, police said Yarger started shooting.

Deputies said no one was injured by the bullets.

DHS officials said this scenario is not uncommon.

“Our workers make sacrifices everyday personally to protect children,” DHS spokesperson Sharee Powell said. “They know that every door they walk up to, there could be something behind that door that could cause them personal harm but they’re there because they want to protect children.”

No one answered the door at the mother’s home.

We spoke with Yarger in great detail about his account of what happened.

However before air time, at the advice of his attorney, he decided to change his response to “no comment.”

Yarger faces one count of assault and battery with a deadly weapon.