Metro father accused of abandoning children

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - A metro man was arrested Tuesday evening, accused of abandoning his two young sons in the middle of the street.

Dwight Steele, 49, was taken into custody in the 300 block of N.W. 90th St. after residents reported to police that he looked unsteady and confused walking down their street.

"It was a check the welfare call of a man walking around, he appeared to be confused," OKC Police Master Sgt. Gary Knight said.

When officers arrived, they found Steele.

They also found his vehicle, parked out of sight around the corner, in the middle of Harvey Ave.

His two sons, ages 2 and 9, were in the back seat.

"The children were upset and the officer had to calm the children down, assure them that they weren't in any trouble and weren't in any danger of any kind," Knight said.

According to the police report, the 9-year-old boy told police his dad was following a woman.

He said "Dad picked up some girl and the girl got out of the car and his dad started following her."

Police questioned Steele about the woman and he told them she was a woman he just met and just picked up and that he was trying to "hook up with her."

"He appeared to be highly intoxicated and he was ultimately taken into custody," Knight said. "The children were small children and shouldn't have been left alone." 

Steele's neighbor told us the arrest surprised her and that Steele was very protective of his children.

The kids were turned over to their mother.

"The car was parked in the middle of the intersection," Knight said. "There wasn't a danger of the car driving away, it had been shut off. But again, this person was under the influence of something and when they wandered off and left their two small children sitting in the car in the middle of an intersection."

Police were not able to locate the woman Steele was allegedly following.

Steele was booked into the county jail.