Live: KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Lottery winner died of cyanide poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO—A Chicago businessman who died the day after collecting on a $1 million lottery ticket was poisoned.

The medical examiner originally said 46-year-old Urooj Khan died of natural causes.

However, an autopsy later determined that he died of cyanide poisoning and the case was ruled a homicide.

Last month, his body was exhumed so further tests could be conducted.

The body was too badly decomposed to provide any clues as to how the cyanide was administered.

Dr. Stephen Cina, Cook County Medical Examiner, said, “Ingestion is one way to get cyanide into the body. Inhalation is another way. Injection would be another way. So there are several ways to get it into the body. All we can say as forensic pathologists is that there is a certain level of cyanide in the blood.”

So far, no charges have been filed yet.

We know Khan’s widow continues to battle with family members over control of his estate, including the lottery winnings.