Rain chances possible starting middle of next week

Smoke detector alerts man, saves his life

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma City man escaped his burning home during a house fire because of a working smoke detector, authorities say.

Flames tore through the victim's home in the 1500 block of SW 46th Street, near NW 44th and Penn about 1 a.m Friday.

Fire crews arrived to thick smoke and heavy flames.

The fire had already consumed most of the home.

The resident was home when the fire started, and he was able to call 911 and make it out safely.

The resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and then released.

The man told authorities he had alerted his landlord about a faulty light switch in the garage several days ago, but the switch had not yet been fixed.

Fire officials believe it was an electrical fire which started in the garage.

The structure is a total loss.

No other injuries were reported.