Summertime heat bringing triple digit temperatures to the forecast
Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

How to protect yourself from unlicensed contractors

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY–In the last few weeks, we’ve heard of scam artists and looters targeting storm damaged areas.

Authorities say they’ve already spotted unlicensed contractors in the tornado zones, trying to take advantage of storm victims.

Okla. Rep. Joe Dorman says anyone rebuilding his or her home or other property needs to ask the contractor for a construction lien release.

The document indicates the contractor has been paid in full for the project, which also restores the clear title to the property owner.

In other words, it gives the homeowner proof that the contractor no longer has a claim on the property.
Dorman recommends getting the paperwork when the project is finished, but before you hand over the final check.