Drop phone in pool or lake? Here’s how to save it

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

This Labor Day, you might be making that final summer trip to the lake or pool.

Sometimes that can spell trouble for your cell phone.

We all know water and phones don’t mix but accidents happen.

So how do you save a wet phone?

Here’s some expert advice on how to make sure it survives:

  • – If your phone does not turn off when it gets wet, power it down immediately and remove the battery.
  • – Remove any skins, covers or faceplates.
  • – Grab a towel and remove as much excess water from the phone as you can.
  • – The best thing to do is to leave the phone powered off for a day or two to give the internal circuits a chance to dry out.
  • – Placing the phone by a fan is a good way to help dry, other methods like hair dryers can be too hot and damage the inside.

After the wait, put the battery back in and turn on your phone.

If it powers up, you can breathe a sigh of relief; just double-check all the functions for permanent damage.

Also, keep an eye out for lasting effects that show up later on.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.