Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Cowboys Hold Off ‘Cats To Win

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Oklahoma State forced five Kansas State turnovers and held off the Wildcats late to win 33-29 in Stillwater.

K-State struck first when Daniel Sams passed to Glenn Gronkowski for a 67-yard touchdown midway through the first quarter to make it 7-0 Wildcats.

OSU answered on their next possession, as J.W. Walsh passed to Jhajuan Seales for a gain of 43, setting up a two-yard touchdown run by Jeremy Smith to tie the game.

After a 30-yard field goal by Ben Grogan made it 10-7 early in the second quarter, the Wildcats answered with a big play on special teams.

K-State blocked a field goal attempt by Grogan, and Kip Daily returned it 65 yards for a touchdown to give the Wildcats a 14-10 lead.

OSU responded with a 64-yard drive in seven plays, capping the drive with a 3-yard touchdown run by J.W. Walsh to give the Cowboys a 17-14 lead.

Kansas State committed 10 penalties in the first half, while OSU did not commit a penalty until the fourth quarter.

The Wildcats marched 79 yards in 11 plays to take the lead on the opening possession of the second half.

Daniel Sams passed to Torell Miller for a 17-yard touchdown to give K-State a 21-17 lead.

The Wildcats committed three straight turnovers on their next three possessions.

The last two led to OSU points, with Ben Grogran kicking a 34-yard field goal following an interception by Caleb Lavey.

Then Shaun Lewis recovered a fumble by KSU's other quarterback Brian Waters at the Wildcat six-yard line.

OSU couldn't punch it in for a touchdown, though, and settled for a 23-yard field goal by Grogan to take the lead again, 23-21.

Grogan kicked four field goals in the game.

Kansas State regained the lead midway through the fourth quarter on a two-yard touchdown run by Daniel Sams.

The Wildcats then converted on a two-point play, with Sams passing to Miller to make it 29-23 with 6:09 to play.

The Cowboys response was immediate, quickly going 75 yards in just six plays, with J.W. Walsh passing to Charlie Moore for a 6-yard touchdown to give OSU the lead again, 30-29 with 4:13 to play.

Walsh was 24 of 38 passes for 245 yards and added 31 yards rushing.

On K-State's next possession, Sams was intercepted by Shaun Lewis, setting up a 28-yard field goal by Grogan to give OSU a four point lead, 33-29, with 2:24 left.

Sams was 15 of 21 passing for 181 yards, but threw three interceptions.

He added 118 yards rushing, while running for a score and throwing for two TD's.

Kansas State had a final chance to win the game, but Sams was intercepted by Daytawion Lowe, who nearly returned it for a touchdown, finally getting knocked out of bounds at the KSU 3.

It was the Wildcats' fifth turnover of the game, and clinched the win for the Cowboys.

Kansas State held the ball for 35 and a half minutes in the game, to just 24 and a half for OSU.

Cowboy defensive back Justin Gilbert did not play in the first half, as OSU suspended him for an incident last weekend.

Gilbert was ejected last week vs. West Virginia for fighting against the Mountaineers.