Live Interactive KFOR Radar

Cowboys Roll Red Raiders 52-34

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Lubbock, TX)—

Oklahoma State used a balanced offense, some timely defensive plays, and a few key plays on special teams to beat Texas Tech 52-34 on Saturday night in Lubbock, Texas.

The Cowboys took advantage of a couple of forced mistakes by their defense and special teams to take a surprising 21-3 lead over Tech after the 1st quarter in Lubbock.

The first points came on an impressive 84 yard drive in 10 plays by the Cowboys when OSU quarterback Clint Chelf hit Tracy Moore for a 6 yard touchdown pass to make it 7-0 Cowboys.

Chelf was 3-3 on the drive for 42 yards passing and RB’s Desmond Roland and Jeremy Smith were successful on the ground for the early advantage.

Chelf finished 18 of 34 passing for 211 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions.

The next time Texas Tech had the ball, TE Jace Amaro was hit and fumbled for the Red Raiders.

The Cowboys recovered the first turnover of the game at the Texas Tech 45 yard line. It took OSU just :37 to score, the big play coming on a Chelf to Jhajuan Seales 44 yard pass to the Red Raiders 1 yard line.

Desmond Roland scored on the next play and it was 14-0 Cowboys midway through the opening quarter.

The next time Texas Tech tried to punt, OSU back-up fullback Derek Branson broke through to block it, and he recovered the block at the Red Raiders 15 yard line.

It took OSU just :46 to score again…when Desmond Roland added his second 1 yard TD plunge, and the crowd in Lubbock was stunned with Oklahoma State leading 21-0 with still 4:09 left in the opening period.

The Red Raiders mounted a drive late in the quarter for a 38-yard field goal and OSU led Texas Tech 21-3 after one period of play.

Texas Tech scored on a 38 yard pass play from Davis Webb to Eric Ward on the very first play of the 2nd quarter to cut OSU’s lead to 21-10.

But the Cowboys responded with a 75 yard drive in 11 plays, using a 4th down and goal 1-yard TD pass from Clint Chelf to fullback Jeremy Seaton to regain command 28-10 with 10:22 left before the break.

The next Tech possession, Pokes senior linebacker Shaun Lewis stepped in front of a Davis Webb pass for the interception at the OSU 18 yard line.

So with a chance to drive and go up 35-10 and possibly put the game away, Clint Chelf instead uncorked his worst throw of the game, right to Texas Tech linebacker Pete Robertson, who dashed 21 yards for the easy touchdown return and instead, the Pokes lead had been cut to 28-17.

That’s when the announcement came that the crowd of 61,836 is the largest in Texas Tech history and they were fully engaged after the “pick 6” return for the score.

After OSU went 3-and-out on their next offensive possession, Texas Tech started another scoring march of 63 yards in 5 plays, with the big snap a 28-yard juggling catch by Jakeem Grant of a Webb pass to the OSU 23 yard line.

OSU senior safety Daytawion Lowe was called for a questionable pass interference call which gave the Red Raiders a 1st down and goal at the Cowboys 2 yard line.

Kenny Williams got in for the touchdown on the next play and Texas Tech had carved into the lead even more, 28-24 Cowboys with 2:00 left in the half, and that’s how the first 30-minutes ended.

The Cowboys increased their halftime lead to 35-24 after Josh Stewart returned a Texas Tech punt 46 yards.

That set up Desmond Roland with his 3rd touchdown of the game, and his 2nd on a 4th down play, from 3 yards out with 9:58 to play in the 3rd.

Roland carried the ball a career high 31 times for 96 yards rushing.

On the next OSU possession, the Pokes zipped 68 yards, the final 67 yards on a Clint Chelf QB draw to seemingly put it away with 7:50 left in the 3rd to give OSU a 42-24 lead.

Chelf rushed for 88 yards on six carries.

Then OSU linebacker Caleb Lavey picked off a Davis Webb pass on the next Texas Tech possession for OSU’s 3rd forced turnover of the night, plus a blocked punt.

With a chance to seal it, Chelf threw his 2nd interception of the night, a pass picked off by the Red Raiders Keenon Ward and Texas Tech still had life.

Texas Tech went 55 yards in 6 plays to get closer. Davis Webb hit Jace Amaro from 1 yard out and it was 42-31 Cowboys with 4:31 left in the 3rd.

Webb tied a school record with 72 pass attempts, completing 45 of them for 425 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

But the Cowboys marched 75 yards in just under 3-minutes with true freshman Rennie Childs breaking off runs of 22 and 15 yards along the way.

The scoring dash was an 8-yard zip by Chelf again as the Pokes increased their margin to 49-31 and that’s how the period ended.

The two teams swapped field goals in the second half, and the Cowboys held on to win 52-34, improving to 7-1 on the season and 4-1 in Big 12 play.

Texas Tech suffered their second straight loss to drop to 7-2, and 4-2 in the conference.

It was the first time in Texas Tech’s history they have lost a game the week after losing to OU.

The Red Raiders had been 8-0 in that situation.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.