Fire crews discover elderly man inside burning home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY  – An elderly man was rushed to the hospital after flames tore through his home early Thursday morning.

The fire started around 12:30 a.m. in a  home, located near S.W. 26th St. and Blackwelder.

Once firefighters made their way through the front door, put out the flames and began clearing out the smoke, they discovered an elderly man.

He suffered a bit of smoke inhalation and was transported to the hospital for treatment.

At this time, there is no information on his condition.

Fire crews say the man was using a space heater but that was not the cause of the blaze.

Batt. Chief T. Davis, with the Oklahoma City Fire Department, said, “Right now, it looks like it started in the back bedroom and the fire appears to be electrical in nature.”

Authorities say the house suffered nearly $8,000 worth of damage.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.