Check road conditions before heading out in winter weather
Our next chance for winter weather is coming this weekend.
Drivers are encouraged to check the weather conditions before heading out and allow extra time for each trip.
Motorists are asked to follow a few simple steps to stay safe while traveling in the snow.
- Check road conditions before heading out on the roads.
- Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment; crews need room to maneuver and can begin plowing or spreading materials on the roads without notice.
- Allow extra space between vehicles, so there is an adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
- Be aware of “black ice,” which looks wet on the roadway but is actually a thin layer of ice.
- Please be patient, plan trips ahead and allow extra time to reach destinations.
For updated road conditions, call Department of Public Safety’s Road Conditions Hotline 888-425-2385.
Out-of-State Road Conditions:
Arkansas: (800) 245-1672
Colorado: (303) 639-1111
Kansas: (866) 511-5368
Missouri: (800) 222-6400
New Mexico: (800) 432-4269