Purcell girls injured in house fire remain hospitalized

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PURCELL, Okla. - Two Purcell girls remain hospitalized in Dallas after a fire ripped through their home late last month.

Fire officials say the fire started in an electrical outlet in the home that the Epperson family was renting.

The call came in to 911 around 2:10 am on Nov. 20.

Officials learned the home had no working smoke detectors.

Jennifer Epperson said, "I woke up smelling something. I told my husband, 'Honey, I smell something burning.' He got up, opened the curtain from our bedroom to the living room and he said,  'The living room's on fire. Get the kids and get out."

Epperson says they managed to escape out the bedroom window with the flames practically on top of them.

She said, "I think it was adrenaline because I don't even know how I fit through that window because that window was small. But I fit through it and got my kids out."

All three of Epperson's daughters were injured.

All the girls were flown to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

The oldest daughter, 14-year-old Danielle, is the only one who's been released from the hospital.

Officials say 11-year-old Mary is being treated for a blood clot in her lungs and 12-year-old Stacy has undergone five different skin grafts.

Epperson said, "But she's doing really good. They said they hadn't ever seen skin grafts take like that on a young child like they did on her."

She says her focus has changed this Christmas season.

"This year, I don't even care about presents," she said. "My kids are here, they could not be here but they're here with me."

Epperson says her other two daughters could be released from the hospital soon.

The family lost everything in the fire.

A fund has been set up for them at First State Bank in Noble, in care of the Epperson family.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.