Summertime heat bringing triple digit temperatures to the forecast
Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

TRAGIC: Two Okla. officers killed while chasing a wanted man; highway patrol continues to investigate

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHITA Co., Okla. – The Oklahoma Highway Patrol continues to investigate the high speed chase that ended in the death of the suspect and two Washita County lawmen.

“I thought to myself, if anyone survived that it would be a miracle,” Gail O’Neil said.

O’Neil could see the law enforcement crash scene outside the window of her home.

In a crumbled SUV was Washita Co. Undersheriff Brian Beck.

Inside a wrecked Burns Flat patrol car was Officer Kris Willhight.

The pair were working together to chase down Quentin Johnson.

The Undersheriff arrived at Johnson’s home in Sentinel home at 9:40 a.m. Thursday to serve a warrant for his arrest.

Investigators say the 27-year-old was wanted for possession of a controlled dangerous substance, concealing stolen property and a felon in possession of a firearm.

When Undersheriff Beck arrived, Johnson jumped in his truck and sped off.

Undersheriff Beck took off to chase him and Officer Willhight joined in to help.

After chasing Johnson for 31 minutes, the run took a deadly turn.

Johnson crashed his truck in an empty field near Hwy 42 and Rambo St.

Undersheriff Beck and Officer Willhight were headed to that scene when they collided in to one another. Neither survived.

“It’s sad, you know,” O’Neil said. “That two of the guys were in the course of their business and they won’t be coming home tonight.”

Law enforcement agencies across the state sent their condolences.

“Our sympathies go out to the families on both sides of this tragic event,” OHP Lt. Brian Orr. “There’s a lot of pain right now that they’re dealing with.”

Word of the deaths spread quickly through the communities.

“We’re all real close. It hit home real hard,” Jonathan Jackson said.

Seeing law enforcement clean up the wreck that killed two of their own was a heavy sight for O’Neil.

“When they woke up this morning, they did not know that was going to happen,” O’Neil said. “Now their families are forever affected. It’s a sad deal.”

OHP is currently working to gather the details to find out how the wrecks happened.