Still no answers one year after body of newborn found

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - This weekend marks one year since a newborn baby was found dead - the mother nowhere to be found.

The infant was found near SE 149th and Air Depot in SE Oklahoma City.

A family pet found the child, who police believe was already dead when it was discovered.

That dog gently carried the newborn to a woman staying at a nearby house.

She immediately called police, who to this day still have no answers.

That woman has never spoken publicly about that day, until now.

Tina, who did not want us to use her last name, remembers that day one year ago as if it were yesterday.

She has a message for anyone who knows anything that could help close this case.

“I said, Luke what have you gotten into now?” says Tina. “I hollered at him and he came over and just laid it at my feet.”

It's been a year since the mixed breed made the most gruesome discovery of his life.

Somewhere on the large acreage he roams, Luke found a newborn baby with the umbilical cord still attached.

Police canvassed the area, on the ground and in the air.

They even put a tracker on Luke to see if he would return to the area where he found the newborn, still nothing.

A book full of reports sits on Capt. Dexter Nelson's desk. They are written by detectives working on the case but they still have more questions than answers.

“They found at least 16 people who had similar DNA that could possibly be a parent to the child, 16 women,” says Nelson. “And they’ve eliminated all of them.”

But one year of dead ends isn't going to stop their investigation.

“We don’t know that a crime has occurred but that doesn`t mean that we don`t continue to investigate,” says Nelson. “There is no statute of limitations.”

That day has made Tina think about how many people who wish they could have a baby but can't.

She waits for the day that someone will come forward, with any clues no matter how small.

“If you didn’t want it, that’s fine, other people would’ve,” says Tina. “I just wish that somebody would, you know come forward and at lease have some other name on the headstone other than Doe.”

Tina also says Luke would never hurt anyone, she believes he carried the baby to her to help.

The Medical Examiner's office has not released a cause of death, they aren't sure whether the child was born alive or not.