Oklahoma solider in the right place at the right time, saves woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT SILL, Okla. –  One Ft. Sill soldier was in the right place at the right time.

According to a release from Fort Sill Public Affairs, Pfc. Jeremy Nedd, a combat medic with more than a year of service in 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery was driving towards Duncan, Oklahoma when he witnessed a car accident.

Nedd said “I was driving up towards Duncan and saw a vehicle on the other side of the highway flip, go airborne and smash into the ground,” said Nedd. “It looked really bad.”

After witnessing the accident, he grabbed his medic aid bag from the back of his truck and ran across the highway to see what was going on.

The soldier said, “The female driver’s hand was mangled with partial amputations of all of her fingers. I wrapped her hand up to keep them hanging on then instructed some other civilians who arrived on scene to assist with the passenger in the back seat. I later learned that was her grandson.”

The driver was said to be in worse shape than her grandson, so Nedd continued to treat her while instructing civilians on how to stabilize the child.

The solider said he could tell that due to the amount of blood the driver had lost, her life was in danger.

“I knew I had to react fast from the get-go, and I’m glad I did because by the time I had gotten to her through the broken window she had probably lost 200 to 300cc’s of blood.” said Nedd, “so I knew I had to stop the bleeding or else her blood pressure would have dropped and things would become even worse.

Donna Overacker, who witnessed the commotion, stopped to help.

She told the soldier that she had first aid experience.

“As I applied pressure to the woman’s axillary artery to help control the bleeding, the Soldier brought out the black strap that he placed on the woman’s upper arms and, using an ink pen, fashioned a tourniquet,” said Overacker. “He was super calm the whole time and very in-charge of the scene, staying beside the woman, comforting her and keeping her conscious until the paramedics arrived.”

According to reports, paramedics from Duncan arrived on the scene 15 minutes later.

The next morning, paramedics called Nedd and let him know the driver could have died if it was not for his quick response and application of the tourniquet.

Paramedics say that both patients are going to be okay.

While he believes he was just doing his civil duty, many are calling Pfc. Jeremy Nedd’s actions heroic.

The unit leadership is reportedly looking into how they can award Nedd for his heroic actions.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.