Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Man burned, family without home after Easter fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Pineapple slices out of a can eaten under a light rain, that's the Easter meal for Derek Hitchcock and Julie Adair.

Firefighters raced to their home in the 3200 block of S. Clegern early Easter morning to douse the flames that devoured just about everything they own.

"I didn't know what to think. It was just crazy because it was like you know, everything just surreal. And Easter, on top of everything else. You're thinking, oh my gosh, you know, this is supposed to be a really happy day," Adair said.

The fire started in the couple's bedroom.

They said they believe it was sparked by a candle they mistakenly left burning before going to bed.

"The candles tend to burst on this particular brand and I didn't even think about it and I tried to tell him remember to blow out the candle and he didn't blow out the candle and I fell asleep first, Adair said. "Lo and behold, the glass busted and poof the house goes up in flames."

"I woke up with fire above my head," Hitchcock said.

He yelled for Julie to get some water and they tried putting the fire out themselves.

Hitchcock tried for so long that he had to be taken to the hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation and second and third-degree burns on his arms.

"We're throwing water on it and finally it just got too smoky. I couldn't breathe and I had to crawl out the front door," Adair said.

Adair dragged out the meager possessions they have left to the front lawn but she says she doesn't know what they'll do now.

"We don't have anywhere to go," Adair said. "I don't have any family to speak of and he's not even from Oklahoma," Adair said.

For now, they're taking comfort in the fact that they made it out of the house alive and that they still have each other.