Disgusting item found in kids’ juice boxes causing parents concern

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW BERLIN (WITI) — A lot of families turn to them because they think they are healthy but a problem with juice boxes is causing some parents to become concerned.

His family says 5-year-old Nathan Hogue can’t speak because he is autistic but they knew something was wrong.

Suzanne Hogue said, “I poked a hole in the juice box and I poured it into his cup for him to drink and poured half the juice box in and everything looked normal.”

However, something was very wrong.

She said, “It took up half of the juice box and at that point, it was brown, black, green. I didn’t even know what I was looking at at first. I was so shocked when I opened it up. I had no idea what it was. It was so repulsive and it had an odor.”

Experts say mold can happen to any food product exposed to air and Nathan’s juice box probably had a slight hole.

Hogue said, “It is so hard as a mother to see that because your child has already drank half of the juice box and you see what’s in there. And it breaks your heart to know that he drank it.”

Many families have complained about the same thing, especially since you can’t see what’s inside to know whether the juice has gone bad.

Some companies are changing to clear bottoms so you can see inside the packages.

Health department officials say mold from food is typically not associated with severe health problems.

Hogue was told to wait and see if Nathan became sick.

She said, “The thing that was scary was they told me it could take up to a week for him to get sick, so for the next week I would watch him like a hawk.”

Luckily, Nathan didn’t get sick.

WITI says you should smell the drink first and you can even go as far as cutting the box or pouch open first.