Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Update: Murray County escapee taken into custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: The Murray County Sheriff's Office says 31-year-old Brandon Evans was taken into custody in the early morning hours of Thursday.

Authorities say he was taken into custody about two blocks from the jail without resistance.

MURRAY COUNTY, Okla. - The Murray County Jail still won't release information to the public as to whether the prison escapee is still on the loose.

Brandon Evans was able to break out of the jail Wednesday morning. He ended up carjacking someone to further his get away. However, he crashed nearby and ran into the Chickasaw National Park.

Johnny Henderson showed up at the park the same time Brandon Evans did.

He continued camping, and said he had no clue a fugitive was on the loose.

"I sure hope he's caught soon. I don't want to deal with him," said Henderson.

The Murray County Sheriff says Evans escaped when a detention officer let him use the phone. Instead of calling someone, he hopped the booking counter and took off.

After carjacking an innocent bystander, he barely made it a block before crashing. He ran barefoot into the national park.

"Well they should have let my brother know that something was going on," said Ann McGuire. "He's been here all day so that's the least they could've done."

McGuire is on vacation with Henderson. The park was never closed, and they don't want to leave.

"We're here, planned this a long time. We're not going to let him spoil it," said Henderson.

Deputies stood, watching for any sign of the escapee.

Back at the crash site, there were no deputies and no crime tape more than five hours after the crash.

When NewsChannel 4 showed up, deputies pulled in to push reporters away.

The Sheriff never returned messages concerning the unsecured crime scene.

We contacted the jail to find out if deputies caught Evans.

A jailer named Daniel told NewsChannel 4 that he was not allowed to disclose that information.

He said those orders came from the Sheriff and hung up the phone.

Shortly after 10:15 p.m. NewsChannel 4 received a call from an anonymous police officer who confirmed the inmate is still on the run.