Update: 3 officers placed on leave after officer involved shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: 6/10 – Officials say three officers discharged their firearms to stop the suspect involved in a police chase Monday night.

According to Capt. Dexter Nelson, a victim reported his car stolen after leaving it running outside of a store in northwest Oklahoma City.

The victim called the police when he saw the car driving in the area.

Warr Acres Police and Oklahoma City Police pursued the stolen vehicle in an attempt to stop the suspect.

Authorities say the suspect stopped the car near northwest 61st and Shawnee and got out of the car with a large knife.

Capt. Nelson says officers used tasers and a bean bag shotgun to get the suspect to stop.

Officials say after the tasers and bean bag shotgun was ineffective, the suspect advanced on the officers with the knife.

Three officers discharged their firearms to stop the suspect’s advance.

He was transported to the hospital, where he later died.

According to reports, the three officers that discharged their firearms have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

The officers that deployed tasers and the bean bag shotgun have been placed on restricted duty.

Officials say the Oklahoma County District Attorney will review the investigation after it is complete.


OKLAHOMA CITY - Police were involved in an officer involved shooting in northwest Oklahoma City Monday night.

Authorities say a chase involving the Warr Acres Police and the Oklahoma City Police started after the suspect stole a vehicle from a Dollar General store near northwest 50th and Meridian.

According to officials, the man who had his car stolen reportedly called the police and followed the authorities on the chase.

After the suspect stopped in a 3800 block of northwest 61st street, police say the suspect ignored their commands to stop.

Police say they used tasers and bean bag shot guns in an attempt to get the suspect to stop.

However, officials say those measures were ineffective.

According to authorities, when the suspect turned and advanced on the officers with a large knife, officers then shot the suspect.

Witnesses say they heard several gun shots.

No word on how many officers opened fire.

EMSA says they transported one person in serious condition to the hospital.

KFOR crews on the scene confirmed one man is dead after the officer involved shooting.

Authorities are said to investigate the officers' actions.

This is a developing story.  Please check back for updates.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.