Grilling safety tips for your Independence Day weekend

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The grills will be blazing this weekend with Independence Day cookouts.

There are a few ways to make sure your grilling efforts don’t go up in smoke, or worse, hurt someone.

Emergency doctors at Vanderbilt University Medical Center say the most common safety mistakes result in severe burns after carelessly opening a scorching hot grill and touching a 500-plus degree hot surface.

Curious kids and pets, along with people wearing loose fitting clothing are at the most risk of getting burned.

Safety experts recommend removing grease build-up from grill racks and trays which can catch fire.

Make sure meat is cooked thoroughly to avoid any foodborne illness.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.