Teen won’t go to trial for brutal beating after elderly victim dies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLARKSDALE, Miss. – A teenager accused of brutally beating an elderly woman with a brick will not go to trial.

Shirley Gordon, the only witness to the crime, died last year at 79-years-old.

Authorities say Gordon was the only one who could identify Edward Malane, Jr. as her attacker.

Gordon told authorities Malane, who was just 14-years-old at the time, followed her home from a nearby convenience store and stole her PT Cruiser when she went inside her house.

Malane allegedly beat Gordon with a concrete block while stealing her car.

“I asked him why he was hurting me so bad and he said ‘he wanted to,” Gordon told WREG.

“I think the DA’s office maybe took just too long to work on it,” said Tina Wilbanks, Gordon’s daughter.

Wilbanks said her mother started developing health issues that affected her memory.

“She had been showing signs of dementia and it worsened. And I had told their office and no one came. And then when the guy finally came, my mom couldn’t even respond to his questions about what color the guy was or anything,” said Wilbanks.

She says she feels like her mother was victimized twice; once by Edward Malane and again by the legal system.

“Well, this is done, Nothing’s going to happen. He’s not going to have to pay the price for what’s been done,” said Wilbanks.

“It was kind of a shock to me. It said that it had been dismissed June 6th. And my heart hurt because I felt like an injustice had been done to my mom,” she said.

It is not believed Gordon’s death is directly linked to the attack.

Click here for WREG’s full report.

However, Malane is not completely free.

He will serve 20 years in prison for kidnapping and assaulting a 4-year-old boy while he was out on reduced bond.

Shaneice Bolden says the teen grabbed her 4-year-old son from a sidewalk at her apartment complex and put his hand over the little boy’s mouth.

He then drug him across a yard and started beating him.

“He said he picked him up by his legs and was slamming him on the ground on his head,” she said.

Bolden said the 4-year-old pretended he was dead to make the beating stop.

When he stumbled back home, Bolden says he was foaming at the mouth and bleeding.

He suffered a broken collarbone along with other injuries.

“It was evil and low down,” said Bolden.  ” I don’t even have a reason. Why would he do that to him? A four-year-old? He’s only a child. Only a baby.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.