Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Boy says his Dairy Queen shake was tainted with cleaning chemicals

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THORNTON, Colo. – A Colorado mother says the vanilla milkshake her son got from the Thornton, Colo. Dairy Queen was tainted by a cleaning solution.

She ended up taking the boy to the hospital after he complained his tongue was burning, according to KMGH.

“Something was like bubbling on my tongue,” said Riley Chase who had the ‘Dairy Queen’ Shake.

“You couldn’t even taste the ice cream in it, it tasted like you were drinking a very strong cleanser, then the burn started instantly,” said Lisa Chase, the boy’s mother.

“I just kept checking on him through the night, like I said my throat and stomach is still burning and you just hope it’s something that will get better and go away,”said Lisa Chase.

Chase says her son is already feeling better after a trip to the hospital, but is worried others may not have been as lucky.

According to KMGH, the owner of the Thornton Dairy Queen says the incident was a terrible accident.

One employee was soaking the vanilla syrup container in the cleaner when another employee picked it up thinking it was clean and filled with the syrup.

The owner says he has contacted the health department and poison control, and both employees involved have been written up for not following proper procedure.