7-year-old dies after choking during school lunch

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PHOENIX, Ariz. (KTVK) – A second-grade student at a Phoenix elementary school has died after he apparently choked during lunch.

Authorities say 7-year-old Javier Lopez was eating in the cafeteria at Paseo Hills Elementary School and became unresponsive, according to Ashley Morris, with the Deer Valley Unified School District.

Morris says the child may have had an object obstructing his airway.

A teacher performed a Heimlich maneuver and the school’s nurse assisted with CPR.

Javier was transported to a nearby hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

“I was shocked,” said Kevin Sodergren, parent of a first-grade student. “I really couldn’t believe it. It really just shows you how fragile life is.”

His official cause of death has yet to be determined.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.