Terrifying caterpillar incident sends girl to ER in excruciating pain
VIRGINIA – An encounter with a tiny caterpillar sent a two-year-old to the ER in excruciating pain.
It happened when she was playing in her backyard in Portsmouth, Virginia.
They may be cute and furry, but the puss caterpillar is no pussycat.
“She was screaming bloody murder,” said Melissa Hicks, the girl’s mother.
Two-year-old Chloe Hicks was sitting on the deck with her mom when he hand ever so slightly touched the bug.
“By the time I got to the emergency room, the rash had spread up her forearm and was heading up towards her shoulder,” Melissa said. “It was just awful, because she couldn’t really tell me what was wrong. All she could do is scream and cry.”
These little creatures make their home in trees.
They can be found along the East Coast, from New Jersey to Florida.
“If you touch their fur, or their spines and hair, you can actually get the little barbs stuck in your skin and that pressure on that gland will release a little bit of the venom,” Dr. Elenor Kurtz said.
Generally, you get an instant reaction that feels like a sting from a wasp or a bee.
It causes redness, swelling and can spread up the arm.
The sensation lasts about 20 to 30 minutes.
“Some people also complain of nausea, feeling sick to their stomach,” Dr. Kurtz said.
A day after her horrific encounter with the puss caterpillar, a red mark was left on her hand.
“She woke up this morning with a little bit of tenderness in her hand. But other than that, she’s been fine,” Melissa said.