NCTC softball players continue to heal after fatal bus crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Jaiden Pelton, 20, Brooke Deckard, 20, Katelynn Woodlee, 18, and Megan Richardson, 19, were all killed in the crash.

MURRAY COUNTY, Okla. – Texas softball players continue to heal after the fatal accident that killed four girls.

One of the softball players, Rachel Hitt, remains hospitalized at Norman Regional Hospital in fair condition.

Rachel Hitt

Today, Hitt’s parents released the following statement about the tragic accident:

To the families of those who lost their loved ones, the NCTC players and coaching staff, words cannot express the heartache we feel for you. Our hearts are overwhelmed with grief and not being able to be with you during this time is difficult. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

We want to say “Thank You” to the first responders. Our family will be forever grateful for your actions and service. We would like to express our gratitude for the ICU staff at Norman Regional Hospital. Their level of compassion and professionalism is unsurpassed.

To our family and friends, your depth of love and support sustains us as we care for our daughter and begin the healing process.

Four members of the North Central Texas College softball team were killed Friday night after a tragic accident.

Meagan Richardson, 19, Katelynn Woodlee, 18, Jaiden Pelton, 20,  and Brooke Deckard, 20, were all killed in the crash.


Shortly after 9 p.m. on Friday, the bus, which was carrying the girl’s softball team from North Central Texas College, was hit by a semi-truck along I-35 in Murray County, near Turner Falls.

They were coming back after a softball scrimmage against Southern Nazarene University in Betheny.

Captain Ronnie Hampton broke the news to the families and is now working the investigation.

The driver of the semi-truck, 53-year-old Russell Staley, told investigators he was distracted at the time of the crash.

“We will take his statement, we will compare it to the other 99 pieces of evidence we plan on collecting in this matter and provide it to the district attorney and it’s weight will be whatever it’s weight is,” said Capt. Hampton.

Staley was treated and released from the hospital.

NTSB will be in Oklahoma for about a week to look at the highway factors including lighting, vehicle factors, and human factors.

They have also brought in people to make sure the families are getting the support that is needed and medical doctors to help gather medical records.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.