Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

California boy in coma after suffering electric jolt at his own birthday party

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TEMECULA, Calif. – A 9-year-old California boy is in a medically induced coma after suffering from an electric jolt at his own birthday party over the weekend.

Family members and fire officials told the Press Enterprise that Elijah Belden was near the pool in his backyard when he was shocked.

The family told the newspaper that Elijah had touched a metal patio cover that had apparently become electrified.

Belden’s father says there was a string of electric lights on the patio cover that might be the cause.

The boy’s mother tried to help her son, but she was also shocked when she touched the pole, according to the Press Enterprise.

The boy’s baseball coach, who is also an Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy, then tried to intervene. He was initially shocked as well, but was eventually able to move the boy to safety, the newspaper reported.

The boy was flown to a local hospital in critical condition.

According to a Facebook page called “Pray for Elijah Belden,” tests conducted Monday showed there was no damage to his brain or heart.  His lungs are also showing signs of improvement.

A doctor told the family they should be able to talk with Elijah within the next 5-6 days.