Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Ebola latest: NBC medical correspondent apologizes for violating quarantine

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

People arriving from nations hit hard by Ebola began receiving special screening, including having their temperature taken, at New York's JFK airport on Saturday, October 11, 2014.

(CNN) — NBC medical correspondent Dr. Nancy Snyderman apologizes for violating quarantine. The husband of the Ebola-stricken Spanish nurse lashes out. A U.N. worker being treated for the disease in Germany dies. And the World Health Organization tweets that 8,914 Ebola cases and 4,447 deaths have been reported.

With multiple developments under way, here’s what you need to know Tuesday to get caught up on the latest:

U.S. DEVELOPMENTS

An apology for breaking quarantine

NBC medical correspondent Dr. Nancy Snyderman has issued an apology after she reportedly violated the quarantine her team was placed in when their cameraman contracted Ebola. “As a health professional I know that we have no symptoms and pose no risk to the public, but I am deeply sorry for the concerns this episode caused,” she said in a statement.

Cameraman says thank you

The NBC freelance cameraman who’s recovering at the Nebraska Medical Center after contracting Ebola thanked everyone for their support in a Facebook post Monday. “There have been some dark and profoundly frightening moments in this ordeal,” he wrote. “I won’t ever know exactly when I slipped up and contracted the virus. I had been taking precautions but obviously they weren’t enough.”

Dallas nurse is ‘clinically stable’

Officials are still trying to figure out how a Dallas nurse who cared for Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan was infected. Nina Pham, a recent nursing college graduate, got her certification less than two months earlier. On Monday, she got a blood transfusion from American Ebola survivor Kent Brantly and is “clinically stable.”

Duncan’s waste disposal blocked

A judge has granted a temporary restraining order blocking the disposal in a Louisiana hazardous waste landfill of incinerated waste from the Texas apartment where Ebola patient Duncan stayed. The company that incinerated the waste told CNN it had followed Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and had no plans to move the waste to Louisiana.

70 caregivers involved

About 70 staffers at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital were involved in Duncan’s care, The Associated Press reports. On Monday, CDC Director Tom Frieden said, “We do not today have a number of such exposed people or potentially exposed health care workers.”

The blame game begins

The Agenda Project, a liberal advocacy group, has released an online ad that interlaces self-described “disturbing footages of the Ebola outbreak” with a mash-up of top Republicans — including those tied up in crucial midterm contests and potential 2016 candidates — saying the word “cut.” The ad describes how the CDC saw its discretionary funding cut by $585 million from 2010 to 2014 and the National Institutes of Health has faced $446 million in cuts during the same period.

WEST AFRICA DEVELOPMENTS

WHO: 5,000 to 10,000 new cases weekly by December

The World Health Organization estimates that there will be 5,000 to 10,000 new Ebola cases weekly in West Africa by the first week of December, Dr. Bruce Aylward, WHO assistant director-general, told reporters Tuesday.

Officially, WHO has reported only 8,914 Ebola cases total in the entire months-long outbreak, but it has said that the total is under-reported. The mortality rate in this outbreak is about 70%, he said.

To start to decrease the rate of infection, the WHO says it hopes to isolate 70% of Ebola patients and have 70% of Ebola victim burials performed safely by December 1. Aylward said getting responders, facilities and plans in place to meet the goal will be very difficult. Missing the goal will mean that more people will die than should have and that even more resources will be needed because the infection rate will continue to climb, he said.

Chocolate companies join fight

Much of the production of the world’s largest chocolate companies comes from West Africa, and the companies are worried the virus will disrupt production. Nestlé and Mars say they have already responded to a call from the World Cocoa Foundation, a nonprofit that helps small cocoa farmers. The group plans to disclose Wednesday how much it has raised. Others in the group include Hershey, Godiva, Ghirardelli, General Mills and Mondelez International.

IN OTHER COUNTRIES

Ebola patient dies in Germany

A U.N. worker being treated for Ebola in Germany has died. The Sudanese man had contracted Ebola while working in Liberia, the St. Georg clinic in Leipzig said.

Husband pens scathing letter

Teresa Romero Ramos, a nurse’s assistant in Spain who contracted Ebola, is in critical condition and is having trouble breathing, authorities said. In a scathing letter, her husband said she received only 30 minutes of training in putting on protective gear and called for the resignation of Madrid’s regional health minister. “Please explain to me how one puts on a protective suit, since unfortunately my wife doesn’t have a master’s degree in that,” he wrote.