“I thought I was gonna be killed for sure,” hostage forced into building at gunpoint speaks out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

NORMAN, Okla. - New details are surfacing in the moments before Monday's standoff started in Norman. Now the man who was forced inside the building at gunpoint is shedding light on exactly what happened, and why he's lucky to be alive.

"I thought I was gonna be killed for sure," said Joe Steadman, who was held hostage by Devin Rogers.

Joe Steadman says he was simply returning from lunch, when Rogers stalked him into the Nextep parking lot Monday afternoon.

"He was crouched down behind this bush...I came around this corner, and he walked just real slowly," said Steadman. "He put the gun up right to my neck and said 'keep walking.' "

The two continued in silence, as they reached Nextep's front door.

"We came up to the elevators and the receptionist could see what was going on, she was calling 911" said Steadman. "I asked you know, what are your demands?...he just said 'more people.' "

Joe says they then took the elevator to the second floor. It was lunchtime, and the floor was mostly vacant.

But as they turned South on the 2nd floor, they came upon a law office with a glass door, with people visible inside.

According to witnesses, Rogers began banging on the glass door with this gun.

"He kind of pushed me off to the side, then as he brought his hands together to start firing...I took off and ran," said Steadman.

Joe sprinted for his own office, which was nearby. He says he and another person in his office sat in the dark, while staying on the line with 911 operators.

Close to two hours later, police came knocking on Joe's door. But Joe says he was hesitant to leave.

"I told them don't let him see me, he's gonna be mad when he sees me," said Steadman.

The crew snuck out using the building's back stairwell. Once on the ground, Joe ran to his family that had waited too long for good news.

"It was a wonderful reunion meeting my daughter and my wife as we came out," said Steadman.

Though he was relieved to be with family, Joe says his thought remained with those who were still stuck inside.

"I knew that there were other people in that office, and there was nothing I could do for them," said Steadman.  "It was almost a helpless feeling."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.