U.S. couple, cleared in child’s death, to return home soon from Qatar
OHA, Qatar (CNN) — A U.S. couple cleared in the death of their child are expected to return home soon, diplomatic sources said Monday.
An appeals judge in Qatar on Sunday cleared them of starving their adopted daughter to death in 2013 in a case that drew global attention to the Middle Eastern nation’s justice system.
The Huangs were blocked from leaving Qatar on Sunday at Hamad International Airport by immigration officials, who confiscated their passports, according to the Doha News agency, which cited a family spokesman Eric Volz.
A new warrant had been issued for their arrest on unknown charges, the agency cited Volz as saying.
But diplomatic sources said Monday the departure was delayed due only to legal procedures once people have been cleared of a crime. Neither U.S. nor Qatari sources anticipate problems.