Witnesses, police dispute deadly officer-involved shooting in Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - New details and conflicting reports are surfacing following a deadly and controversial shooting involving Oklahoma City police officers and a suspect.

Authorities say the shooting happened after Jerry Nowlin following a traffic stop near N.E. 26th and Kelley on Sunday night.

Officials claim after crashing his car, Nowlin pointed a handgun at police, who then opened fire.

However, people who claim to have witnessed the shooting tell a very different story.

"When he was caught, he put his hands up," said Tyrell Bagby.

"He had his hands up," said Courtnei Thomas. "They shot him in the back."

"He had his hands up and he turned to run and they shot him in the back," said Derrick Parker.

Cory Nowlin didn't witness the shooting, but says his brother died after being shot three times.

"They shot him in the back of the leg twice and in the back of the head," said Nowlin.

Authorities with the Oklahoma City Police Department say the witnesses' version of events does not follow what happened that night.

"As the officers were chasing him on foot, he did produce a weapon and pointed it at officers and that's why they discharged their weapons at him," said Capt. Paco Balderrama, with the Oklahoma City Police Department.

A gun and drugs were recovered at the scene.

Still, those who live at the apartment complex say police had no right to end his life.

"They had no reason to shoot him. They shot him just to shoot him," said Thomas.

"That officer was tired and that's why they shot him. If you can't catch him, shoot him," said Parker.

"True enough, he ran but he didn't deserve this because he didn't pose a threat. His back was turned and he was running away," said Nowlin.

A search of Department of Corrections records shows Nowlin has a criminal history of assault and drug-related crimes.

The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid leave while the case is investigated.

NewsChannel 4 tried to confirm with the police department exactly where the suspect was shot.

They told us they're waiting on the medical examiner's report to get those answers.

The ME's office would only report that the suspect died of a gunshot wound to the head.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.