Mother charged with abuse after burned 2-year-old tells investigator “Mommy did it.”

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo.  - A 25-year-old mother is facing charges of child abuse after her 2-year-old daughter was able to point investigators in her direction.

Doctors say the 2-year-old girl was brought to the emergency room for second-degree burns on her face and back.

According to WDAF, the victim told a child services investigator that "Mommy is mean."

She also stated that the bathtub water "did it." Authorities say the child told them the water was in a blue bucket and that "Mommy did it."

According to the probable cause affidavit, police began investigating 25-year-old Katie Grimes after the child's grandfather wasn't allowed to see the little girl when he picked up his son's three other children.

While visiting their grandparents, the girl's older siblings allegedly told their grandfather that she had been burned with hot water.

According to the report, the kids told their family that the little girl "screamed really loud" when Grimes changed her clothes.

When investigators asked about the burns, Grimes reportedly told them, "It's bad, but it's none of your business."

Authorities say Grimes initially told them that she had filled two small trash cans full of hot water and bleach to clean her apartment.

She says she left the room but heard the child screaming.

When she went back inside, she told police that the little girl had poured the water on herself.

According to WDAF, Grimes told police the child was burned around 9 p.m. on Friday but she did not take her to the hospital until Saturday night.

Authorities are also charging the child's grandmother, 51-year-old Karen Wynn, with abuse and neglect for failing to report the burns.

Wynn told police that by Saturday afternoon, the child's eyes were almost completely swollen shut and she had told Grimes to take the child to the hospital.

However, she never called 911 or took the child to the emergency room herself.

Both have pleaded not guilty.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.