Officials: Save the environment, cash with simple techniques this holiday season
OKLAHOMA CITY – Saving money around the holidays can be difficult.
However, the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality says there are a few simple ways you can save cash.
- Donate toys and electronics- They can be reused or recycled, which prevents them from going to the waste system. Many electronics retailers offer a take-back program or sponsor recycling events.
- Recycle the cardboard packaging – It reduces waste and is a simple way to avoid letting others know what new items are in your home.
- Recycle your Christmas tree- Trees can be used for mulch, erosion control and even as habitats for fish in ponds and lakes.
Experts say conserving water should be a top priority for Oklahomans, but you may waste more than you think.
- Peel and clean vegetables in a large bowl of water instead of under running water.
- Thaw foods in the refrigerator overnight instead of running hot water over them.
- Fill your sink when washing and rinsing dishes.
- Run the dishwasher only when it is full. Also, use the water saving setting.
- Only use the garbage disposal when necessary.
- Keep a bottle of drinking water in the refrigerator. Running the tap to cool the water is wasteful. The refrigerator water will be colder.
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks. Even a small leak can waste thousands of gallons in a month.