U.S. responsible for North Korean internet shut down?

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Credit: The Rodong Sinmun via CNN

WASHINGTON D.C.– President Obama promised a “proportional response” to the Sony hack, but U.S. officials have declined to admit to whether or not they had any part in the massive internet blackouts in North Korea Sunday and Monday.

“As the president said, we are considering a range of options in response. We aren’t going to discuss publicly operational details about the possible response options or comment on those kind of reports in any way except to say that as we implement our responses, some will be seen, some may not be seen. So I can’t confirm those reports, but in general, that’s what the president has spoken to,” said Marie Harf, spokeswoman for the U.S. government.

Martyn Williams, who runs North Korea Tech and who cited Dyn Research for his information, speculated while the timing of the internet failure was hard to ignore, the outages could have been caused by routine maintenance or some other internal issue, not necessarily an outside attack.

The North Korean regime denied U.S. allegations last week about having any part in the what has been dubbed the “Sony hack.”

According to, International Business Times, the hackers stole 100 terabytes of data from Sony, including massive troves of emails among company executives, scripts and the entirety of an unreleased James Bond film.

Whoever shut down the the North Korean internet managed to block even the highest secured networks.

IBT says North Korean internal government sites ending with the DPRK domain .kp were unavailable as of 1:45 p.m. EST. Sites down included the Korean Central News Agency, which is the DPRK’s news outlet, and Naenara.com.kp, which is the official site of the DPRK government.

See a mistake? Let us know.