“I could just hear a woman screaming,” Apartment fire claims the lives of two Oklahoma infants

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Updated: 1/9/15 at 10:02

Neighbors and friends of the family have set up a memorial to honor the lives of the babies who lost their lives in a fire on Friday. Balloons and stuffed animals now sit outside the apartment where tragedy struck on a cold January morning.


MOORE, Okla. - An Oklahoma family is mourning the loss of their two young children following an apartment fire on Friday morning.

On Friday morning, emergency crews were called to the 2400 block of Nottingham Dr., near N.W. 27th St. and Jane Way in Moore.

As crews battled the flames, they learned two infants were still inside one of the apartments.

Sgt. Jeremy Lewis, with the Moore Police Department, says  two children were killed in the fire at the Nottingham Apartments.

Authorities say the babies were both less than a year old.

"I could just hear a woman screaming. She wasn't saying anything, just screaming," said A'Leisha Price, a resident in the complex.

"I mean she was running back and forth yelling. That's all you heard," said Donna Clark.

"I was in my apartment and I heard someone screaming. It was Crystal and she said it was her babies," said Ashley Samples.

Ashley has known the children's mother since middle school and asked her what happened.

"She just said 'My babies,' she said, 'They're dying," said Samples.

Neighbors say the mother had been at work at the time of the tragedy and rushed home to find her twin boys dead.

The victims had apparently been home in the apartment with their father when the fire started.

The father said he had been asleep in another room when the blaze began.

He was able to escape the fire, and then broke into tears sitting outside the apartment.

"You know the poor daddy, he was out there with no shirt on and I'm sure they're both in shock," said Clark.

Donna Clark lives right across the street.

She says the fire was never out-of-control.

In fact, investigators say the damage was contained to just the victim's apartment.

"I don't know. I just seen a little smoke. You'd think it would be a bigger fire," said Clark.

Everyone who lives in the area says their heart absolutely aches for the victim's family.

"It's so sad. I'll never forget hearing that woman scream ever in my life," said Price.

"It's just devastating," said Clark. "I feel sorry for the parents. It's just too sad."

Officials determined a space heater was to blame for the fatal fire.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.