Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Officials: Unattended dinner on stove to blame for house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Firefighters say an unattended dinner is to blame for a house fire in rural Oklahoma City.

Fire crews were called to the home near N.E. 36th St. and Hiwassee Rd. around 10:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Authorities say the homeowner was cooking dinner when he went to check something in another room.

When he made it back to the stove, grease caught fire and had consumed the cabinets.

Within a matter of minutes, the house caught fire and the homeowner was forced to get out.

“Unattended cooking fires is one of the more common residential structure fires. So when you’re cooking, just make sure you’re paying attention and don’t leave it unattended,” said Batt. Chief Tony Davis, with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.

Crews had a hard time putting out the fire because the home is in such a rural area and there is a limited water supply.

Fortunately, no one was injured but the home is said to be a total loss.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.