Edmond voters say yes to nearly 91 Million dollars in school improvements
EDMOND, Okla. — Edmond schools have faced massive growth in recent years- student enrollment has increased by over 5,000 in just the last 13 years. Voters approved a school bond Tuesday to help with that expansion.
Oklahoma law requires 60 percent approval for school bonds – the simple majority is required for all other governmental entities. Edmond voters have approved 54 consecutive bond issues over a period of more than half a century, beginning with passage of a 1959 issue. This bond election was no different.
The voting numbers in favor of Proposition #1 came in at on overwhelming 81.8 percent, and 82.5 percent for Proposition #2.
The bond issue proposed in Feb. 2013 was to expand facilities to accommodate growth, maintain and upgrade existing facilities, and supplement general fund support for academic and co-curricular programs.
The cost for the two propositions for Feb. 2013 totaled to $80,000.
- For all of Edmond schools to update their computer, software, technology equipment, wireless networking equipment, phone systems, copiers, and support services: $6.8 million
- Three of the schools in need of roof replacement: $1.7M
- Installation and upgrades of video surveillance camera systems in the high schools: $300,000
- Security fencing for the elementary schools: $100,000
- Middle school/High school athletic and fine arts equipment, child nutrition equipment, maintenance vehicles, library/media books, instructional equipment and materials and textbooks: $3.5M
- HVAC Replacement for 2 of the schools: $1.535M
- Replacement of existing carpet and tile for 2 middle schools: $1.25M
- Construction and equipping of addition to an elementary school (at least six classrooms): $2.1M
- Construction and equipping of new elementary school (approximately 75,000 s.f.): $16.5M
- Construction and equipping of new middle school (approximately 110,000 s.f.): $27.0M
- Expanding, remodeling and equipping of selected classrooms, media center, hallways, and cafeteria/kitchen of one elementary school: $2.55M
- Expanding, remodeling and equipping cafeteria/kitchen of one elementary school: $1.0M
- Science and other Classrooms, Hallways, Gym Seating for one high school: $2.5M
- Corridors, Auditorium/Lobby, Restrooms, Lockers, Science Room Upgrades for one high school: $2.5M
- Selected remodel: Restrooms; freshman café seating expansion; gymnasium(s); flooring; wrestling area; orchestra roof replacement for one high school: $2.6M
- Remodel and conversion of vacated Maintenance facility to custodial and district warehouse: $850,000
- Additional parking and storage building for training center: $750,000
- Purchase minimum of 80 acres for future high school complex: $3.2M
- Repair and resurfacing and recoating of running tracks: $475,000
- Constructing and equipping for 11 elementary schools: $1.0M
- Purchase of equipment to include large and small school buses and Suburbans: $1.79M
There is no word yet on when these alterations will start.