Neighbor wakes up family after home catches fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma City family is safe after a fire sparked inside their home on Friday morning.

Fortunately, a neighbor smelled the smoke coming from the home on N.W. 8th St. and banged on the door until the couple woke up.

Officials say the fire accidentally spread from the fireplace because of some missing bricks in the back of the fire-box.

“If you don’t have somebody come out and actually inspect the fire-box at the beginning of the season to make sure everything is okay, you wouldn’t know it until it was too late,” said Major Chris Black, with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.

It spread to the inside of the wall, but firefighters got it under control quickly.

The residents didn’t wake up until their neighbor alerted them to the fire.

They say they were doing renovations and had taken down their smoke detectors.

Fire crews did install two working smoke detectors before they left the home.

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.