“He acted crazy,” Victim of brutal attack says he isn’t surprised police had to shoot alleged suspect

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - We have new information about an officer-involved shooting that left an armed suspect fighting for his life.

The violent story involves a jealous boyfriend and a brutal assault, and ends with Oklahoma City police shooting an armed suspect.

It happened early Wednesday morning along N.W. Grand near the Lake Hefner Parkway.

The victim was allegedly assaulted by his friend, Ronnie Calvert, after Calvert got into a fight with his girlfriend.

"Him and his girlfriend got sideways. She broke up with him halfway through the night," said the victim, who asked not to be identified.

After the suspect's girlfriend sent the victim messages on his phone wanting to talk about the breakup, that's when Calvert allegedly turned violent.

"Next thing I know, I'm getting blindsided with something, a vase or something, and split me here to here," said the victim.

The victim allegedly passed out after being kicked in the face.

After waking up, he says he managed to drive himself to Integris Baptist Hospital and police were called.

"You know, I woke up in his house lying in a pool of blood, and I did what I could to get to the hospital," said the victim.

Once in the emergency room, the victim told investigators Calvert assaulted him inside the suspect's home.

A short time later, two officers found the suspect in his front yard with a gun... but instead of dropping the weapon, he allegedly raised it towards police who opened fire.

"The officers felt threatened by a person that had already attacked somebody, and they had every reason to think he was going to shoot them," said Oklahoma City Police Capt. Paco Balderrama.

The victim doesn't blame police for what they did.

"It doesn't surprise me. He acted crazy last night. He was enraged that his girlfriend broke up with him," the victim said.

Both officers have been placed on paid leave while the case is being investigated.

The suspect remains in the hospital.

This is the fourth officer-involved shooting in the city this year. The other three all proved fatal.

Report a typo

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.