PHOENIX, Ariz. – It’s a tragic scenario that plays out every summer; a young child is left in a hot car by a distracted parent.
The first instance of a child dying in a car from heatstroke in the United States in 2015 has landed a Phoenix man behind bars.
“He said in the interview that he took the kids and, it sounded like, with the intention or at least the option of getting a hair cut,” said Crump.
Instead of going to get a hair cut, Koryor stopped by a liquor store and purchased a bottle of gin.
“The father has admitted that he consumed a bottle of gin that he had purchased at a liquor store while driving back to the house with the kids,” said Sgt. Trent Crump, with the Phoenix Police Department.
An hour later, he returned home and took his 5-year-old son inside the house.
Once inside, Koryor went to sleep.
However, he left behind his 2-year-old son, Alpha, who was still inside the car.
On Tuesday, police said temperatures rose above 100 degrees in Phoenix.
When family members asked the 5-year-old where Alpha was, he told them that he was sleeping.
Family members didn’t check on the toddler until around 4 p.m.
The boy’s mother, who was studying for an exam, found the child unresponsive inside their car.
Authorities say there was evidence that showed he struggled to get out for two hours.
Alpha was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Court documents show Koryor had bloodshot, watery eyes and a strong odor of alcohol around him.