COLCHESTER, Vt. - A Vermont woman was hospitalized after she was bitten by a black widow spider that was hiding in her bag of grapes.
The 21-year-old woman apparently went home with the poisonous spider after shopping at her local grocery store, according to WPTZ.
The woman's family told WPTZ that the spider crawled up her arm and bit her after she reached into the bag of grapes.
Family members were able to catch the spider and bring it with them on the way to the hospital.
A nurse confirmed that it was in fact a black widow.
Employees at the grocery store are now inspecting all of the produce and contacting suppliers.
Black widow spiders are feared because their venom is reportedly 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake's, according to National Geographic.
Although bites can be fatal, deaths are rare.
Those who are bitten by black widow spiders often report muscle aches, nausea, and paralysis of the diaphragm that can make breathing difficult.