4-year-old dies after tragic accident with cinnamon powder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Ky. – The parents of a Richmond, Kentucky child are planning a funeral after they say he accidentally swallowed cinnamon powder.

Brianna Radar says her 4-year-old son, Matthew, was a climber. Wednesday morning he explored the kitchen at her apartment. While exploring, he got his hands on powdered cinnamon and began putting it in his mouth.

What followed next, the coroner says, was a tragic accident.

“He started choking, it was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” says Radar.

The 4-year-old was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead an hour and a half later, according to WLEX.

The coroner says cinnamon can cause asphyxiation when inhaled.

 

Report a typo

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.