FOLSOM, Cali. -- A mom and her son had quite the scare when the young boy was bitten by a rattlesnake while walking along a bike trail.
Jaclyn Caramazza, who is nine months pregnant, was anticipating a trip to the hospital sometime this month. But she was expecting the visit for the birth of her newborn, not for a snakebite scare.
On their way back from a stroll on the Folsom Bike Trail, her 4-year-old son Vinny accidentally stepped on something brown. Something coiled up.
“It wasn’t dog poop,” Vinny said.
“I know, it was a snake,” his mom said.
“I’m looking around, and took his shoes off, and lo-and-behold, there were two little puncture marks,” Jaclyn said.
Vinny was bitten by a startled baby rattlesnake.
Within minutes, Vinny’s ankle started to swell and turned purple... the venom spread to his entire leg.
“Mama bear instinct in me decided to suck the venom because that’s what Bonanza does,” Jaclyn said.
But officials advise strongly against that.
“Misconception is lacerate between the two points and suck the venom out,” Chris Stoots, with California Fish and Wildlife, said. “Absolutely don’t do that. Use your basic wound type stuff, soap and water, wash the area, keep it clean and call 911 immediately.”
In your best effort to avoid a snakebite, always wear closed-toed shoes and socks instead of going barefoot or wearing sandals.
Also, don’t provoke the snake or it could attack you. If it does, call 911 first.
Luckily, the venom Jaclyn tried to suck out of Vinny’s leg didn’t spread to her or her unborn son.
As for Vinny, he’s recovering well. From now on, the family will be a little more cautious.
“Being more aware of our surroundings and putting up some things in our backyard to keep the snakes out and counting our blessings,” she said.
You can get more information on rattlesnake safety, here.